Friday, January 20, 2012

Bruce Springsteen's New Single and a Preemptive Review of His Upcoming Album

Like any red-blooded American rock and roll fan, I am looking forward to the next year to be filled with Bruce Springsteen. The man has a new album, Wrecking Ball, coming on March 6, a massive tour in the planning stages, and he's set to be the keynote speaker at this year's South By Southwest in Austin in March. Last night around midnight, the first single "We Take Care Of Our Own" dropped onto his official site and the Internet.
As I type this, my right leg is tapping in time under my desk to the new single, like I'm Max Weinberg's foot wrecking a kick pedal live in concert as the band strikes up the song to open a show.
The single is your typical patriotic Boss anthem, all sweat, wonderful promise, and just the right amount of Americana references. It's almost mathematical at this point. The only thing the song is missing, is a big raunchy Clarence Clemons sax solo somewhere in the middle of the four-minute cut. Rest in peace, Big Man.The albums that these singles came off of were disappointing -- at least by Bruce standards -- which leads me to be skeptical about March's Wrecking Ball. The fact that I am even typing now about an album that comes out in a month and half should prove to you I am a Bruce fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment